January 22, 2009

Allergy Test

I've been allergic to cats most of my life. But I'm not someone who avoids going into a house with cats in it. Claritin worked well and if I didn't take Claritin I was usually ok if it was a shorter visit and I didn't pet that cat. Sean, my college boyfriend, would wheeze if he got near a cat. My sister has trouble being in any house that has a cat. I would just get itchy. If I was stupid enough to touch my face I would get really blotchy and my eyes would water while appearing to be bright green.

But the thing is, I get blotchy really easily. Really. My skin will inflamed with the slightest irritant. Sometimes, this redness is an unpleasant and itchy. Other times, I don't realize my skin looks like I have been sunburned and I have eczema until someone points it out mildly disgusted and says, "Oh my what happened, doesn't that hurt?" And I don't think they always believe me when I say no. Because of this issue, I will not be wearing a necklace with my wedding dress.

Getting back to the cats, I've never felt like I was horribly allergic until this past Christmas. I stayed with Robbin's old roommate Chad and his girlfriend Lauren along with their 5 cats and 2 dogs. I usually just double dose on Clartin, avoid petting the cats and everything is ok. That didn't work this time. I ended up wheezing. I wanted to all I could to either stay in Robbin's old room (where the cats don't go) or leave the house. So, I decided it was time to go to the allergy doc and get some big girl drugs.

Yesterday I had that appointment. I explained what happened and that I was needed something to take for when I was around the cats. She asked me about other allergies. I mentioned that I sneezed when I was around fresh cut grass and dust, but that I wasn't worried about that. Also, who doesn't sneeze around dust? She had me to spirometry test and I guess I failed. They had me retake it 5 times over the 90 minutes I was there. Failed each time. I think they thought I didn't understand the instructions because they kept explaining, "No you have to keep exhaling." Um there is no more air in my lungs, really. I don't like failing tests.

Anyway, then they did the allergy prick test. Remember that my skin is really sensitive?



This picture is before it got bad. I know that when i took the pick I thought my arm looked much more red and I wished my EN-V would capture it. Eventually some of the welts merged together and most looked like a very bad mosquito bite. The smallest reactions were the 2 controls of histamine and water. I still had welts from dust and grass this morning but they're gone now.

Anyway, she prescribed me Nasonex, Cingulair, and Alavert (ooc). This seems like a lot of drugs. Because really, I think I'm okay aside from the cats. Maybe I've just been coping and I don't feel as good as I could. The lung test scared me a little, But maybe they were right and I just wasn't doing it right. I've never felt like I had trouble breathing (except with the cats at Christmas). Since being in the doc's office I have noticed a slight t tightness in my chest and that maybe I'm not breathing a deeply I could. But maybe that has more to do with the 23 allergens she poked in my arm than with what I encounter in my daily life.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Wow! Did the doctor mention that you are the most allergic person in the world? So are you going to have to take 3 meds a day? That, while very painful and uncomfortable for you, is like the BEST blog picture ever. Wow.

Anonymous said...

So now that the results are in, what are you allergic to besides cats?

Rae said...

I don't recall all 23 things they tested for; I have a list at home. They include, 3 types of grass, dust, cockroaches, indoor and outdoor mold, pollens, a few of trees. I hope the drugs work against the cats...the rest of the stuff has always been manageable. I do feel like I'm breathing better now though. I didn' even realize I wasn't breathing as well as I could be previously.

Rae said...

Donna - The dr. & nurse did react to how my arm looked with a little surprise. I'm sure they've seen worse though. I really don't feel like the most allergic person ever. I've never had to use an inhaler or anything. I feel like my skin may have betrayed what is actually going on in my respiratory system since it's so sensitive.