July 30, 2011

Orange Goodness

Gerald is now ready for solids.  We tried pureed butternut squash last weekend with no success.  Tongue thrusted right out.  I froze the rest of the squash and brought a serving out tonight.  He was uncertain at first.  His father held the spoon but Jerry grabbed on as well.  Jerry eventually flipped the spoon over and was delighted with what he found.  So, we had another spoonful.  Wow.

My friend Kathy has spoken and blogged about how amazing it is that as the mother of exclusively breastfed babies, that all of their nutrition had come directly from her.  I tend to agree with her.  (Being a mom is a huge ego trip sometimes.)  It's not exactly true for Jerry since he was on intravenous nutrients for a few days there; but it's still kind of awesome.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of nursing.  I mean, I love that I can comfort him.  I love that it's the healthiest choice for him.  But I don't like that sometimes I'm the only one who can comfort him.  And sometimes I'm not sure if it's comfort or if he's really hungry.  And the absolute last thing I want is a hungry little boy.  So for some reason this is liberating.  This being the butternut squash.

Suddenly I'm not his only source of nutrition and that gives be a sense of freedom.  I've already purchased a bottle of formula for Chicago in case I run out of expressed milk while I'm there.  Jerry is going to daycare four hours a week starting at the end of August; I need to provide 3 bottles for those four hours.  There is no way my ta-tas will be able to produce that much.  Even if I pump for three 20 minute sessions during the only 4 hours I have free during a week....I would produce about 4 ounces.  The pump and I don't get really have a  productive relationship.  My point is....I don't think we far off from formula.

I'm not sure why it matters at all but I feel better about introducing formula after solids are there as well.  (Maybe it's because I'm thinking about washing cloth diapers).

In a few days we'll start cereal and make that part of our routine, what with iron being so important and all.  But I'm  very satisfied with his appreciation of the orange goodness of butternut squash.

1 comment:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Glad Jerry is coming around on the solids. It's nice to be able to take them out to eat and pacify them with a little food of their own without having to make a Big Social Statement with the public breastfeeding (covered or otherwise).