February 6, 2013

1 month
Douglas will be 1 month old tomorrow.  I cannot believe time has passed so quickly.  And so few hours of sleep have been had since then.  To be fair, it is continuous hours of sleep I'm missing out on.  My mom helped me get lots of naps the 3 weeks of his life.  

Doug is a good sleeper.  So good I had to set alarms to feed him.  He was 8lbs 15oz when we was born.  Then is lost 10% of his body weight so we had to schedule an extra weigh in.  I knew it wasn't going right so I saw a lactation consultant the day after we got out of the hospital .  She gave me good advice.  But I really think it was a matter of being a little too stressed and my world being a little too turned upside down.  Gerald freaking out after not seeing me for a day and half, Robbin being checked out with the flu, etc.  But then he didn't gain enough between that and the 2 week appointment.  Our ped sent me to his favorite lactation consultant.  Again got some good tips, but overall she thought we were doing fine. 
TL;DR Doug sleeps well, but doesn't eat so well.

Gerald calls Douglas noise.  We correct him.  And more often he his calling his brother "brudder" or "Guglassssss".  It's not always negative though.  When he hears Douglas cry from another room, he says "noise" and runs to see if he can help.  When I nurse Douglas, Gerald asks if he's biting me.  He aggressively returns Doug's pacifer should Doug spit it out.

I should write his birth story here.  Just as I should have written Gerald's.  I have a half written version of Gerald's and many many emails recounting it.  I need to assemble them and put down one coherent version.

The short version of  Doug's story is that we induced.  My blood pressure couldn't handle the epidural so i felt everything.  And flu ridden Robbin was banned from the hospital.  

I will update with the full versions of both stories.  I will.  

2 comments:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

sometimes the nutshell is all you need to jog it, and sometimes it's more fun to remember it all on your own, too.

Donna said...

Good luck on the transition to two, Rae. I can't wait to meet the little guy and see his big brudder!!